Compact toilets come in a wide array of models that vary in size, price, and design as well as functionality. We make it easy for you to choose the one that best suits your needs. Keep reading for our reviews of the 9 best compact toilets for smaller bathrooms.
- Main Features and Factors
- Quick Comparisons
- Compact Toilets for Small Bathrooms – 9 Top Reviews
- 1. American Standard H2O Siphonic 2 Piece Dual Flush Toilet
- 2. Galba White Small Toilet
- 3. Kohler K-3810-0 Santa Rosa
- 4. TOTO UltraMax II
- 5. American Standard Champion 4
- 6. TOTO CST243EF#01 Entrada
- 7. Intelflow Macerating Toilet with Pump
- 8. KOHLER K-5172-0 San Souci
- 9. Johnson Pumps 80-47229-01 Aqua Toilet
- Benefits of a Compact Toilet
- Installation Tips
- One-Piece vs. Two-Piece Toilets
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Verdict
Main Features and Factors
Here’s a list of seven important factors when choosing a compact toilet for a small bathroom.
✓ Space and Size Dimensions
Since you want to buy a small toilet, you probably don’t have a lot of space to spare. Before buying, it’s essential to measure the space for your toilet properly, or you might end up with a too-big unit that you can’t return. The most important measurement is a rough-in size, which is the length between the center of the toilet and the wall.
Additionally, you should consider the shape of the bowl. Oval and round bowls take up different amounts of space. If your room is shallow, it may be a good idea to mark the toilet dimensions on the floor using tape so that your knees don’t end up pressing against the wall while using the toilet.
✓ Water Consumption
Wasting water is bad for both the environment and your wallet. Look for an efficient toilet. Old toilets consume around four times more water than more modern models. New models might be expensive, but they make an excellent long-term investment. Federal law requires toilets to meet EPA standards for water-saving.
✓ Flush Efficiency
Flush efficiency refers to how much water the toilet requires to clean the bowl after use.
There are two types of toilets when it comes to flushing efficiency. Some units have traps to prevent clogging while others have valves that allow for a powerful flush. Choose carefully based on the size and needs of your household.
✓ Ease of Cleaning
When choosing a small toilet, go for the models that are easy to clean. Your main indicators should be the material and design of the tank and bowl.
✓ Toilet Height
Toilet height is an important factor that affects both comfort and accessibility for both adults and children. Most modern toilets have a convenient height that is similar to sitting in a chair.
✓ Consider The Environment (and Your Wallet)
Buying a water-efficient toilet will affect the environment, as well as your wallet. The best option is Dual Flush, which allows you to use a light flush for liquid waste and a solid flush for solid waste. Also, it’s good to consider using greywater for flushing. Some toilets come with a nice, long rubber hose, which allows you to do just that.
✓ Toilet Design
Toilets are something that we use every single day so it’s important to consider the design. If you have a traditional bathroom, a two-piece unit will do the job. However, for modern bathrooms, a single-piece unit would be the perfect fit.
Compact Toilets for Small Bathrooms – 9 Top Reviews
1. American Standard H2O Siphonic 2 Piece Dual Flush Toilet
|Seat Height||16 inches|
|Flush Type||Siphonic action dual flush|
Read these main features of the America Standard H2O Siphonic toilet.
- Sleekly designed toilet reported by many to be very quiet, elegant, and beautiful, the American Standard toilet has rounded corners and a clean two-piece design with a shiny cotton white finish.
- Easy to clean with minimal effort as the surface is non-stick and the toilet does not have many crevices, corners, or grooves.
- The seat is at an optimal height for children, the elderly, and tall individuals.
- U.S.-made using high-end porcelain and comes in a box with all the necessary screws and bolts.
- Certified as water-friendly due to the low consumption dual flush.
2. Galba White Small Toilet
|Seat Height||16.5 inches|
|Flush Type||Dual Siphonic Flush|
Take a look at the important highlights of the Galba White toilet.
- Reported by customers to look really luxurious with its sleek, clean design and shiny white finish.
- Very easy to clean with minimal crevices, corners, and grooves
- The skirted trap way creates a flawless look and enables easy cleaning plus, the dual flush system only uses about 1.2 gallons of water per flush making this Galba model very water efficient.
- Siphoned flushing tube that reduces noise and helps prevent leaks, clogs and other problems caused by waste.
- The seat is designed to be at an optimal height for seating and standing and does not weigh much when compared to other similar models.
- Made using high-quality ceramic and comes with a pre-installed seat, wax ring, bolts, and a very clear instruction booklet. Plus, the packaging contains a hand wrench for tightening the bolts and screws.
- Has been tested for water efficiency and found to comply with the strict UPS and CSA guidelines.
3. Kohler K-3810-0 Santa Rosa
|Seat Height||17 inches|
|Flush Type||Single gravity flush|
We listed five important buying factors when choosing the Kohler Santa Rosa toilet.
- Designed with an integrated tank for a seamless and easy-to-clean design without any crevices, hooks, or corners.
- A comfortable height seat that offers chair-height seating to suit just about any user.
- The seat and lid are included in the package along with clear instructions on how to set them up.
- Water-efficient and the canister flush packs a strong water push to eliminate any possible clogs due to waste, paper, or other debris.
- Customers have reported that the flushing does make a little more noise than other models in this price range.
4. TOTO UltraMax II
|Seat Height||17.25 inches|
|Flush Type||Tornado Flush system|
Here we list the important features of the TOTO UltraMax II toilet.
- Dual Cyclone Flushing System that uses a minimal amount of water yet cleans the toilet bowl thoroughly.
- The trip lever has a chrome finish that prevents rusting, scratches, and scuff marks.
- The elongated front bowl is fitted with a SoftClose seat that quietly closes and opens.
- The seat is designed at a height of 17-¼ inches making it optimal for both short and tall individuals alike, as well as the elderly and people with mobility issues.
- The porcelain is easy to clean and is much more resistant to water and rust markings.
- Tested and ADA certified under the Californian ‘low flow standard’.
5. American Standard Champion 4
|Seat Height||16.5 inches|
|Flush Type||Siphonic Flush|
Listed are five features of the American Standard Champion 4 toilet.
- Made from porcelain and has a patented glaze finish that gives it a beautiful shine that is resistant to scratches and stains.
- The seat is at a universal height, making it comfortable for a wide range of users with different body compositions.
- Equipped with an E-Max flushing system that is designed to be efficient and very quiet. Reliably, the system will flush down even the heaviest of solid waste in a single flush cycle.
- Certified as ADA and CEC compliant as they use only 1.28 gallons of water per flush making them some of the most water-efficient toilets on the market.
- With 5 different colors and 3 different finishes, buyers are sure to find the best toilet to fit in with any bathroom interior.
6. TOTO CST243EF#01 Entrada
|Flush Type||Powerful flush|
Here are the top reasons to choose the TOTO Entrada toilet.
- Features an elegant and modern design that easily fits any bathroom.
- Utilizes the E-max flushing system and has a wide flush valve.
- Features a left-hand lever.
- Meets EPA and CEC standards.
- Installing the unit is very simple.
- Comfortable and requires minimum maintenance.
7. Intelflow Macerating Toilet with Pump
Here are the top four features of the Intelflow Macerating Toilet.
- It comes with a built-in pump. After flushing, the waste is sent to the pump and is then cut into a semi-liquid mixture.
- It can be used in low-pressure areas and uses less water than most toilets in the market.
- It can be installed almost anywhere including an attic, a garage, or a basement.
- It doesn’t require a large drain hole—you only need a 32 mm pipe.
8. KOHLER K-5172-0 San Souci
|Seat Height||17.5 inches|
|Flush Type||Plug-free flush|
Here’s a list of the four main features of the KOHLER San Souci toilet.
- This toilet is available in various colors including Cashmere, Biscuit, Black, White, and Almond as well as others.
- The unit is well-designed and very easy to clean.
- It features a Quiet Close and Grip Tight seat, which makes it easier to use for adults and kids alike.
- It’s very comfortable and only consumes around 1.28 gallons per flush.
9. Johnson Pumps 80-47229-01 Aqua Toilet
|Seat Height||Not specified|
|Flush Type||Powerful flush|
Keep reading for important features of the Johnson Pumps 80-47229-01 Aqua toilet.
- It’s made from porcelain, making this toilet elegant, durable, and corrosion-resistant.
- It comes with a hand-powered piston and is very quiet and reliable.
- Compared to similar units in the market, it’s more costly but offers fantastic quality.
- It’s simple to install and requires no DIY skills.
Benefits of a Compact Toilet
Some people avoid buying a small toilet, thinking that it may lack features. However, these toilets are an excellent choice, especially for small spaces. They are easy to keep clean. Plus, they come in standard height which is great for adults and kids, while still taking up less space.
Installing a compact toilet is usually simple. However, installation varies between models so always follow the user manual. Although some units might be more difficult than others, in general, it’s an easy process.
• Make sure to cut off the water supply to the existing toilet and do a final measurement before beginning the installation.
• Note that there are differences between single-piece and two-piece models so some parts of the process will require checking the user manual.
• Once the toilet is installed, you can reattach the water line and turn it on but before using the toilet, flush it a few times. There could be some leaks, and it’s better to notice them before use.
• Consider hiring a professional. Improper installation can lead to unit damage over time. As a result, you may spend more cash on servicing.
• Most compact toilets can be installed the same way as standard units. If you’ve already installed a larger toilet, installing a compact version won’t be a problem.
Cleaning a compact toilet is as important as cleaning any type of toilet. However, some toilets have features that allow them to stay cleaner for longer. You should aim to clean it once a week. If you clean the unit frequently, you won’t have to remove potential build-up, making your life simpler overall.
One-Piece vs. Two-Piece Toilets
Most toilets, regardless of their size, are made in either 1-piece or 2-piece designs. Two-piece toilets are a bit more affordable but more difficult to keep clean due to crevices, bolts, and hooks in the design. Single-piece toilets are virtually seamless making them easy to clean but they are more expensive and are also heavier, which can be an issue when installing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Obviously, every unit has its pros and cons. However, when it comes to price, quality, and comfort, we recommend the Kohler K-5172-0 San Souci.
Small toilets with tanks usually work the same as the classic units. However, tankless units usually require an electrical connection and work differently, breaking up solid waste and then flushing it.
As you can see, buying a compact toilet doesn’t have to be confusing. We have presented you with our top picks, but with our Buying Guide, you can also shop by yourself. If you still can’t decide which unit to buy, we strongly recommend you to check out any compact toilet made by Kohler. They come at a decent price and offer fantastic quality.