A toilet seat has a huge impact on the overall comfort of a toilet. Therefore, it is very important to make sure that the toilet seat you are planning on buying is high-quality. Now, the most popular toilet seats nowadays are made out of wood or plastic. Although wooden seats may not be as popular as before, they are still quite common.
Both the wooden and the plastic toilet seats come with their advantages and disadvantages. Thus, before you purchase a toilet seat you should figure out which type suits you better and which main features and advantages are more important to you.
Table of Contents
- Wood vs. Plastic Seat – Main Features
- Wooden Toilet Seats – Benefits & Drawbacks
- Plastic Toilet Seats – Advantages & Downside
Wood vs. Plastic Seat – Main Features
Now that you know the advantages and disadvantages of both sides, here are some key features to compare when making the purchasing decision.
Here’s a list of eight essential features when considering a wood vs. plastic toilet seat.
1. Size and Weight
Usually, the toilet seat that comes with the toilet is made from molded plastic, and most of the time, these toilet seats are very lightweight. However, many people consider these seats cold and uncomfortable.
Wooden seats are purchased separately and are made of solid wood, usually oak or medium-density fiberboard that is painted white. Wooden toilet seats are a lot heavier than plastic toilet seats and very sturdy, which is what some people want. Additionally, these seats can add more style to your bathroom décor, especially if your bathroom has a touch of wood.
Wood and plastic seats are virtually identical when it comes to their usability. However, plastic toilet seats tend to last longer than wooden toilet seats. Since wood is a natural material, it begins to degrade over time. Especially in high-moisture bathrooms, solid wood seats discolor, and the paint comes off of the seats that are made from medium-density fiberboard. Additionally, the construction of wooden toilet seats requires four wood pieces, which can separate. However, extremely light plastic seats are a lot more vulnerable to cracks.
The warmth of the toilet seat is another thing that you need to consider before purchasing it. A cold, hard toilet seat is uncomfortable for a lot of people, especially during the colder times of the year.
So, when it comes to warmth, wooden toilet seats serve this purpose a lot more efficiently and effectively compared to plastic toilet seats. Wooden toilet seats don’t tend to get a lot colder even if they are not in a heated bathroom. Plastic toilet seats can get extremely cold if your bathroom doesn’t have a heating system, and this can be uncomfortable.
Therefore, if you’re looking for something that doesn’t get cold, a wooden toilet seat would be a wise choice. Other options would be looking into a heated toilet seat, but will require an electrical connection.
Another critical factor is the cleaning of the toilet seat and this is where it gets harder to make a decision about which toilet seat to get for your bathroom.
Treatments on wooden toilet seats can only go so far preventing moisture from absorbing into the material. In addition, these treatments can also cause the toilet seat to smell, grow mold, and get uncomfortable because they will always stay a little damp.
However, these problems don’t occur with plastic toilet seats. Plastic toilet seats don’t absorb moisture immediately. In addition, cleaning them is a lot more convenient and effortless because you can quickly wipe away the surface of the toilet seat. On the other hand, cleaning a wooden toilet seat is not that easy because the wood has a natural texture that enables various elements to stick to its surface.
So, when it comes to cleaning, plastic toilet seats are a better choice than wooden toilet seats.
5. Soft Closing
A soft-closing feature on a toilet seat is another thing that many people appreciate. Traditional toilet seats close incredibly fast, making a loud noise as the lid slams on the seat, which can also cause damage to the seat. However, today, there are a lot of plastic toilet seats in the market that come with a soft-close feature, which enables them to close softly and quietly.
Wooden seats, however, don’t come with a soft-close feature. Since they are heavier than plastic toilet seats, they close more forcefully and make a lot of noise. Therefore, if you are looking for something quiet, a plastic toilet seat would be the right choice.
6. Look and Design
Lastly, the look and design of a toilet seat matter just as much as any other factor. Decide what style you are looking for, and most importantly, match the color of the toilet seat with your toilet and the rest of your bathroom. When it comes to style, plastic toilet seats are not as stylish or beautiful as wooden toilet seats.
With dull, solid colors, plastic toilet seats don’t add much to the décor of the bathroom. Whereas wooden toilet seats look a lot more beautiful, sleek in design, and compliment the look and décor of the bathroom. Additionally, wooden toilet seats can make your bathroom look a lot more cozy, warm, and friendly.
7. Cost Factor
Regardless of what you’re buying, price is one of the top details to take into account. When it comes to toilet seats, several factors have an impact on the overall price, including style, brand, and seat material. As discussed above, plastic seats are often much more affordable than wooden seats. Particularly depending on the type of wood used for the seat, prices can go up quickly. However, there are some more affordable options if you’re willing to make a small investment to go with a wooden toilet seat.
8. Comfort Aspect
Another essential aspect to selecting a toilet seat is comfort. For example, most plastic toilet seats are thin and often uncomfortable. On the other hand, wooden toilet seats are typically thicker and may feel more supportive to the user. Further, the seat’s material will impact other comfort factors like whether the seat feels cold in the winter, or even if the seat
Wooden Toilet Seats – Benefits & Drawbacks
This type of toilet seat is often described as more stylish and durable. Although they are not as popular as they used to be, a lot of people are still using them.
Here is the list of the most important advantages and disadvantages to having a wooden toilet seat.
✓ Noticeable Advantages
There are several advantages of a wooden toilet seat – we’ll discuss 3 important ones.
- Durability – Almost all wooden toilet seats are way more heavy, sturdy and less likely to break compared to alternative options like plastic seats
- Style – Wooden toilet seats also offer a stand-out look for those looking for a unique way to elevate their bathroom’s overall design aesthetic
- Comfort – Another key advantage of wooden toilet seats is their overall comfort. In particular, any users living in cold climates will appreciate that wooden seats don’t get cold in the winter months
✓ Few Drawbacks
There are a few downsides to keep in mind when considering a wood toilet seat.
- Price – The main downside of the models made out of wood is their price. The wooden seats are often way more expensive than the plastic ones
- Surface Protection – As a natural material, wood may degrade and fade sooner than plastic or other synthetic materials. While the seat itself is sturdy and durable, there may be more surface wear for a wooden seat in comparison to a plastic option
- General Maintenance – Similarly, you may need to invest more time in regular upkeep of the seat to preserve its look
Plastic Toilet Seats – Advantages & Downside
Plastic toilet seats, on the other hand, are a lot more common and popular nowadays. They also have versatility and flexibility to be designed with cushioning or stuffing. If you are not sure whether they are a good suit for you, here is the list of the most important upsides and downsides:
✓ Few Advantages
There are several notable advantages to going for a classic plastic toilet seat.
- Affordability – One of the top reasons people favor plastic toilet seats is that they’re generally much cheaper than their wooden counterparts. Regardless of your price point, you’ll be able to find a plastic toilet seat to meet your budget and bathroom needs
- Variety – If you’re looking for a specific style or color, you’ll have more luck searching through the wide variety of plastic toilet seats available. Particularly if you’re looking for a simple, one-color seat to match your toilet, you should have no trouble when choosing a plastic toilet seat.
- Maintenance – Plastic seats are a great option for those with large families because they’re durable, less likely to scratch, and easier to clean. The synthetic material can stand up to stronger cleaning chemicals, and the seat itself is lighter and easier to navigate when using as well as cleaning.
✓ The Downside
Some disadvantages to also keep in consideration include.
- Lack of Elegance – Especially compared to wooden toilet seats, plastic seats are generally considered the less stylish option. Depending on the seat’s construction as well, plastic seats can lack elegance and feel cheap
- Discoloration – Plastic seats may also lack the durability of wooden seats. Further, almost every plastic seat will discolor overtime as well, further detracting from the look of your bathroom
- Discomfort – Finally, plastic seats can often be cold and uncomfortable, which is particularly unpleasant during the cold winter months
Your choice of a toilet seat is, of course, all a matter of personal preferences. If you want something that is stylish and adds to the décor of your bathroom and makes it look cozy, a wooden toilet seat is the answer for you. However, if you prefer hygiene and a soft-close, a plastic toilet seat is the one.