TOTO is a well-known toilet brand and is considered one of the best toilet manufacturers in the industry today. They are famous for their quality, modern design, and innovative features. Additionally, their products consistently make our top charts of the best toilets.
TOTO Limited is a toilet manufacturing company based in Kitakyushu, Japan that is well-known for its attention to detail and manufacturing the perfect products for bathrooms. Interestingly, the word TOTO is the abbreviated form of two words: Toyo Toki, which translates to “Oriental Ceramics”.
- TOTO Special Flush Technology
- Hand Selected Comparisons
- TOTO Toilets – Detailed & Reviewed
- TOTO Special Designs
- TOTO Water Standard Certifications
- General Features to Consider
- Other Features
TOTO Special Flush Technology
One of the things that set TOTO toilets apart from other units is their powerful flush technology. Depending on which model you buy, you will get one of the following technologies.
★ Dynamax Tornado Flush
Dynamax is one of the most popular TOTO flushing technologies. The water is split between the rim and the jet hole, which creates a vortex that pushes waste out and cleans all 360 degrees of the bowl. Compared to traditional 1.6 GPF systems, Dynamax uses 45% less water, which leads to significant water savings.
★ Tornado Flush
Toilets with Tornado Flush systems have two nozzles that create centrifugal force to keep the bowl perfectly clean. With only 1.28 gallons per flush, it’s more efficient than a standard flush. This system features a hole-free rim design, which makes it easier to clean and requires less maintenance.
★ 3D Tornado Flush
This flushing technology is even more efficient than Tornado Flush. It features three nozzles that create a cyclonic action, and allows you to choose between 0.9 and 1.28 gallons per flush. With its modern and efficient technology, 3D Tornado Flush will consume around 35% less water than traditional 1.6 GPF systems.
★ G-max Flushing System
The nice thing about the G-max Flushing System is that it offers a powerful and efficient flush without being noisy. It uses an extra-large siphon jet for increased power, and has large water surface area for easy cleaning and maintenance.
★ E-max Flushing System
With a combination of an extra-large siphon jet and a 3-inch valve, E-max Flushing System provides a consistent and efficient flush. This flush is quiet and uses only 1.28 gallons of water.
Hand Selected Comparisons
TOTO Toilets – Detailed & Reviewed
We reviewed the top seven TOTO toilets on the market. Make sure to read each of their in-depth articles too.
1. TOTO Drake II
Here is a list of seven excellent features of the TOTO Drake II toilet.
- Features an elongated bowl that has a universal height feature.
- Universal height of this toilet makes it ADA compliant and ideal for older people or people with disabilities.
- Made from vitreous china and has a CEFIONTECT finish that keeps the surface of the toilet clean, shiny, and bacteria-free.
- Water-efficient Tornado flush system that consumes only 1.28 gallons of water per flush and scrubs all the waste away from the toilet bowl.
- EPA WaterSense certified, which qualifies many consumers for significant rebates on their water bills, depending on location.
- Chrome trip lever on the tank makes the flushing operation convenient and effortless.
- Easy to install and requires a 12-inch rough-in like many other traditional toilets. If you know a little plumbing, you won’t need a professional plumber for its installation. Additionally, since it’s a 2-piece toilet, it is not very heavy, which makes it a lot more convenient to set up.
You may also be interested in the full review of TOTO Drake toilets.
2. TOTO Ultramax II
The TOTO Ultramax II is a one-piece, high-efficiency toilet and ranks among the top toilets.
Here we listed nine important features of the Toto Ultramax II.
- Features an elongated bowl that has a universal height feature.
- ADA compliant making it ideal for older people and people with disabilities.
- Soft Close seat that prevents loud slamming noises when it closes.
- Smooth and beautiful design that complements the décor of your bathroom, whether modern or traditional.
- Variety of colors including cotton, colonial white, bone, Sedona beige, and black.
- CEFIONTECT glaze finish that keeps this toilet clean, shiny, and bacteria-free.
- Tornado flush system that is extremely powerful and does the job well. The flushing system consumes 1.28 GPF which saves a lot more water than the toilets that use 1.6 gallons of water per flush. In addition, the fully-glazed trap-way of this toilet boosts the efficiency of the flushing system.
- EPA WaterSense certified. This WaterSense certification may make you eligible for significant rebates on your water bills, depending on the area you live in.
- Requires a 12-inch rough-in for its installation. The installation is pretty straightforward, but since it is a one-piece toilet and a little heavy, you may need an extra pair of hands.
Read our in-depth article on the TOTO Ultramax II.
3. TOTO Eco Soiree
Here’s a list of the main benefits and features of the TOTO Eco Soiree toilet.
- One-piece decorative design. Perfect for a luxurious bathroom and will complement the décor.
- Several colors including cotton, bone, colonial white, Sedona beige, and black.
- Elongated shape that provides superior comfort to users by providing more space for their legs.
- Soft close seat that prevents loud slams when you close it.
- Universal height feature makes this toilet ideal for adults, older people, as well as for people with disabilities.
- ADA compliant.
- CEFIONTECT glaze that keeps the surface of this toilet clean and bacteria-free.
- Powerful tornado flushing system that makes this toilet water-efficient. It consumes only 1.28 gallons per flush and saves a lot of water compared to other traditional toilets.
- EPA WaterSense certified and makes you eligible for consumer rebates on your water bills, depending on your area.
- Chrome trip lever ensures an effortless and convenient flushing operation and the glazed trap-way of this toilet increases the flushing efficiency every time you activate the flush.
- Requires a 12-inch rough-in for its installation. Since it is a one-piece toilet, you might need an extra pair of hands during its installation.
Read our in-depth article on the TOTO Eco Soiree.
4. TOTO Supreme II
Here we list the top and essential features of the TOTO Supreme II toilet.
- Elongated, one-piece toilet offers several modern features. Although this toilet came onto the market ten years ago, it still looks beautiful enough to complement the décor of a modern bathroom.
- Elongated shape of the Supreme II ensures the superior comfort of the users by providing more room for sitting.
- SoftClose seat that saves you from the loud slams every time the seat closes.
- Universal height feature that makes it suitable for all age groups as well as for people with disabilities.
- ADA compliant.
- Efficient tornado flush. This flushing system consumes only 1.28 gallons per flush.
- EPA WaterSense certified, making you potentially eligible for significant rebates on your water bills.
- Fully glazed trap-way increases the efficiency of the flushing system and keeps the toilet clean. This toilet comes with a CEFIONTECT glaze on the surface that protects the toilet from bacteria and keeps it glossy and shiny.
- Installation of this toilet requires a 12-inch rough-in, like many other toilets. However, you will need an extra pair of hands for its installation because of its heavy weight.
Read our in-depth article on the TOTO Supreme II.
5. TOTO Ultramax
The Ultramax is another older but still popular model manufactured by TOTO.
- One-piece toilet comes with an elongated bowl
- SoftClose seat
- SanaGloss finish on the surface that keeps the toilet shiny and clean at all times.
- Powerful G-Max flushing system that consumes 1.6 gallons per flush.
- Generates a siphon jet action to increase the flushing efficiency and scrubs all the waste away with a single flush while a fully glazed trap-way ensures a smooth flushing operation.
- Requires a 12-inch rough-in for its installation.
- Heavier than two-piece models so you will need an extra pair of hands for its installation.
6. TOTO Vespin II
Here is a list of main features and benefits of using a TOTO Vespin II toilet.
- Sleek and high-profile design.
- This toilet comes with an elongated bowl that provides superior comfort to the users.
- The Vespin II has a universal height feature that makes it ADA compliant and suitable for all age groups and for people with disabilities.
- CEFIONTECT glaze finish which prevents the debris from sticking to the surface, helping to keep the toilet clean and bacteria-free.
- Powerful double cyclone flushing system, also known as Tornado flush. The system only consumes 1.28 GPF, and this low water usage also makes this toilet water-efficient.
- EPA WaterSense certified, which could make you eligible for consumer rebates on your water bills, depending on the area you live in.
- A chrome trip lever on the tank provides effortless and convenient flushing while the fully glazed trap-way of this toilet makes sure that the flushing operation goes smoothly and the toilet doesn’t require a second flush.
- Lastly, like many other traditional models, this toilet also requires a 12-inch rough-in, but you can also purchase 10-inch or 14-inch rough-ins separately. This two-piece toilet is pretty easy to install, and you can do it yourself if you have basic plumbing skills.
Read our in-depth review article on the TOTO Vespin II.
7. TOTO Carlyle II
Take a look at the important features of the Carlyle II toilet by TOTO.
- Features an elongated bowl which works well for larger bathrooms. It also provides more sitting space to ensure a relaxed experience for the users.
- Slow close seat that saves you from the loud slamming noise every time the seat closes.
- Carlyle II features a CEFIONTECT finish that prevents debris from sticking to the surface. It also keeps the toilet shiny and glossy at all times. You will need to use a standard gentle cleaner on this toilet because strong cleansing agents can damage the CEFIONTECT glaze finish.
- Double cyclone flushing system, also known as Tornado flush. This flushing system generates a powerful flush by forcing the water out through two jets to increase the efficiency of the flush.
- Flushing system consumes 1.28 GPF, making it water-efficient, as well as EPA WaterSense certified. This certification may make you eligible for consumer rebates on your water bills, depending on your location.
- Requires a 12-inch rough-in, like many other toilets. However, you can also choose either a 10-inch rough-in or a 14-inch rough-in.
Read our in-depth review article on the TOTO Carlyle II.
TOTO Special Designs
Most TOTO toilets come with special designs that allow easy cleaning and more efficient flush. Here we’ve listed what you can expect to get when you buy a TOTO toilet.
This is a smooth glaze that prevents particles from sticking to the toilet surface, which directly leads to a more efficient flush and less cleaning, which also means less water usage, less maintenance, and fewer chemicals in the environment.
2. Skirted Design
The skirted design of TOTO toilets has numerous advantages. For example, the clean lines and geometrical precision make the toilet look modern and beautiful. It also includes a concealed trapway. which makes cleaning and maintenance much easier.
This specially-thin design technique uses an advanced form of proprietary ceramic to create a sophisticated and elegant look that’s also strong and durable.
TOTO Water Standard Certifications
Many toilets offer specific certifications to ensure that you are buying a quality unit. But, what do these specifications mean?
- LCA Transparency Report – This certification grants that the toilet is made from eco-friendly materials and won’t harm the environment.
- California Proposition 65 – Most TOTO toilets have this certification, which ensures that products are made from the safest, most high-quality materials, and not from any chemicals that can cause cancer, birth defects, or many other health issues.
- Cal Green – This public health and safety compliance aims to reduce negative impacts on people and the environment through effective design, and is applied to anything from toilets to buildings.
- USGBC – Similar to Cal Green, USGBC aims to achieve a healthy environment that improves the quality of life.
- Declare – Toilets, buildings, and other items with this label are made from specific materials that cause no damage to human health or safety.
General Features to Consider
Here are a few things that you should consider before purchasing the a TOTO toilet:
1. Toilet Types
High-efficiency toilets are known as the best sellers in the industry today. If you are an eco-friendly person and care about saving water, you should always go for the products that are EPA WaterSense certified. These toilets consume a minimum amount of water and still do the job effectively and efficiently.
Furthermore, ADA compliant models have a chair height feature that makes it easier to sit on the toilet. These toilets are ideal for older people and people with disabilities.
If we talk about flushing systems, gravity-assisted flushing systems are more popular than pressure-assisted flushing systems. Gravity-assisted flushing systems use gravity to drain the waste out of the toilet bowl and into the sewage system.
Additionally, modern toilets usually feature dual flush mechanisms because they consume the least amount of water to generate maximum flushing efficiency.
Please check our guide to learn more about dual flushing toilets.
2. The Design
TOTO toilets come in two primary models: one-piece and two-piece. One-piece models consist of a combined bowl and tank while two-piece toilets have a separate bowl and tank that are bolted together during the installation.
Additionally, a one-piece design is ideal for smaller bathrooms because these toilets have lower rough-in requirements. Two-piece models are the most common type of household toilets, and they are also cheaper compared to one-piece toilets.
There is another type of toilet design—wall-mounted toilets. People with luxurious bathrooms prefer wall-mounted toilets because they look incredibly stylish. In addition, these toilets take a lot of bathroom space but require almost zero maintenance.
3. Bowl Shape
The bowl shape of a toilet is another important factor that you must consider. Toilets generally have one of two types of bowl shapes: round-front bowls and elongated bowls.
Round-front toilet bowls are more suitable for smaller bathrooms because they take less space compared to elongated toilets.
Elongated toilets are a few inches bigger so it is important to make sure that the elongated toilet bowl won’t interfere with the bathroom door or drawers.
4. Rough-in Measurement
A lot of older bathrooms have rough-in sizes that are not suitable for modern toilets. Before you make a purchase, measure your bathroom’s rough-in. Most toilets today have a rough-in measurement of 12 inches.
However, TOTO also offers rough-in options of 10 inches and 14 inches. You can also choose from these options and purchase them separately.
Please check our guide to learn more about rough-in toilets and measurements.
Beyond the must-haves, some toilets come with additional features.
A nightlight feature can be very useful in many situations, and will also make your bathroom glow at night. Some high-end toilets also come with remote control, so that you can use them completely hands-free.
Don’t forget about a foot warmer, an automatic flush, or even a sensor that will notify you in case of possible leaks.
Note that these features can increase the price, so don’t be surprised if the toilet you want to buy costs a few hundreds of dollars more than you expected.
In conclusion, TOTO toilets are more than just luxurious bathroom pieces. They offers a high standard of quality at favorable prices. Additionally, their name is associated with a rich legacy and has earned the trust of millions of customers all around the globe.
TOTO produces for people who prefer luxury, as well as for people who are on a budget without compromising its standard and quality. We hope our guide has helped you find your perfect toilet.