To keep your RV toilet running smoothly, it’s important to use the right type of toilet paper. You’ll want to find an efficient toilet paper that can still dissolve well enough for your RV waste tank. We’ve done some testing for you to help you find the best RV toilet paper – keep reading below to discover our favorites!
Our Top Picks
|›||Seventh Generation Bath Tissue|
|›||Runner Up||Cottonelle Ultra Clean Care|
|›||Quilted Northern Ultra Plush Toilet Paper|
|›||Best Seller||Presto Amazon Brand 24 Count|
Regular vs. RV Toilet Paper
The main difference between regular and RV toilet paper is how well it disintegrates in the septic tank once flushed.
Regular Toilet Paper
It tends to be more resistant to tearing and does not disintegrate as quickly as RV paper does when it comes in contact with liquids. This, of course, makes it more absorbent but not suitable for recreational vehicles or other motorhomes as the paper is slower to dissolve and will end up clogging your tank.
RV Toilet Paper
It’s typically manufactured in 1 ply and begins to fall apart as soon as it comes in contact with water. It might be a bit inconvenient doing your business with this kind of paper but it’s the price you pay for living in a natural setting away from plumbing and sewage systems.
Also, RV toilet paper is normally made from recycled paper and is never bleached using harsh chemicals such as chlorine, ammonia, or conventional bleach as these chemicals can harm the septic system.
Chemical-free top-rated toilet paper is hypoallergenic and eco-friendly too. With chemical-free paper, you can be sure that no family members are going to have an allergic reaction and that your waste tank will work effortlessly for years to come.
Choosing Eco-Friendly Toilet Paper
Eco-friendly toilet paper has several advantages over regular toilet paper. One such advantage is that eco-friendly and especially biodegradable toilet paper is much lighter on your septic system as it disintegrates much faster than its regular counterpart.
Toilet paper that is made from recyclable material is even better, as it decomposes faster than biodegradable toilet paper does. However, most recycled toilet paper is bleached white using either ammonia or chlorine, and that is not very friendly to your waste tank so be sure to read the label carefully.
Quick Comparisons[amazon table=”15033″]
RV Toilet Paper – Top 10 Reviewed
Here’s a list of 10 different products aimed to improve your RV toilet experience.
1. Seventh Generation Bath Tissue Recyclable – Editor’s Choice
- Made from recycled paper
- Economy pack
- Septic safe
- No chemicals, dyes, fragrances or inks
- Rough and tough
- Very thin
- Some rolls were reported to smell of mold
2. Cottonelle Ultra Clean Care – Runner Up
- Much stronger toilet paper due to wavy texture imprinting
- Absorbent and available in 1 or 2-ply sheets
- Lasts a long time
- RV compatible
- Leaves residue behind
- Lots of counterfeit products on the market
- Poor customer support and long shipping
3. Quilted Northern Ultra Plush – Review Champion
- 3 ply toilet paper
- 319 sheets on one roll
- SFI and ADC compliant
- Septic safe
- Do not fit in a standard roll holder
- Might clog the tank if you have a narrow septic valve gate
- Regular septic tank treatments are required to fully dissolve the toilet sheets
4. Presto Amazon Brand 24 Count – Best Seller
The Presto Company is an Amazon brand that is manufactured in the USA. The 2-ply sheets are lint-free and septic tank safe.
The toilet rolls are made from pulp that is sustainably sourced from managed forests and other controlled sources.
Plus, the rolls are really thick and long with each Presto roll accommodating 308 sheets of soft and thick toilet paper.
- Lint-free toilet paper
- Septic safe as the sheets quickly dissolve
- U.S. made
- Made from sustainable pulp sources
- 308 sheets on one roll
- Soft and thick with great absorption
- PEFC certified
- Bleached paper
- Paper disintegrates into rolled-up shreds of paper upon contact with water
- No shipping discretion
5. Aqua-Soft Toilet 1-Ply Tissue
- Super white and very absorbent
- Sanitation tank safe
- Rapidly dissolves without causing nasty clogs
- Thick and soft
- New rolls can be very frustrating as they are hard to get going
- Leaves particles behind
6. Camco 1-ply Biodegradable
A cheap option for outdoor lovers, this Camco toilet paper is highly absorbent and has been designed to rapidly break down.
It is completely safe to use with different septic tanks and RV toilet models as the paper rolls were tested and ADC certified.
Plus, they are eco-friendly as they do not contain any perfume, dyes, or inks.
This tissue is manufactured from recyclable material.
- Safe to use with all RV toilet models
- Quickly breaks down upon contact with water
- Does not contain chemicals
- The roll size is much smaller than a standard RV toilet paper roll is
- Paper is rolled very loosely thus always falling on the ground
- Some customers reported having clogged tank gates
7. Valterra 4 pack 2-ply
- Specifically designed to be used in RV and other mobile homes
- Soft and thick
- 100% chemical-free
- Tested and ADC certified
- Rolls are much shorter than standard RV toilet paper rolls
- Not suitable for vacuum toilets
8. Thetford RV and Marine 1 ply
This Thetford toilet paper has been specifically designed to be used in motor homes. It needs to be used quickly because otherwise it disintegrates leaving small clumps of white residue.
These rolls do a great job of gently absorbing liquid waste and could be a great option for an individual with sensitive skin. However, keep in mind that these rolls are not the cheapest you can find on the market and are definitely not the thickest either.
Also, the rolls are much smaller than regular Thetford rolls so be prepared to go through the pack much quicker.
- Specifically designed to be used in motorhomes
- Soft and suitable for people with sensitive skin
- Absorb liquids well
- Rolls are much thinner and shorter than regular Thetford rolls
- Quickly disintegrate upon contact with water or other liquids
9. Scott Rapid Dissolving Toilet Paper
- Lightly Fragranced
- Good absorption
- Soft and thick
- Septic tank safe
- Long shipping
- More expensive when compared to other products
- Available only fragrance version
10. Camco RV and Marine Yachts
- Biodegradable paper made from recyclable material
- Does not clog septic tanks
- 2-ply soft and thick
- Rolls are half the size of standard ones
- Paper does not break with cheap septic treatments
- Dyed using chemical inks
Few Helpful Tips
- Choose a brand of toilet paper that is RV toilet friendly and will not clog your septic tank.
- Check if the toilet paper is readily available in major supermarkets, convenience stores, or gas stations as this step will ensure you won’t have to drive around looking for the brand you need when out on the open road.
- Look for RV toilet paper that is comfortable to use and soft to the touch in order to avoid rashes or paper burns on your most sensitive body parts. Always look for and buy only chemical-free toilet paper as chemical ingredients such as dyes, inks, and fragrances can not only cause allergies but also seriously damage your waste tanks or septic systems.
- Look out for bleached paper that might contain traces of chlorine, bleach, ammonia, as well as artificial dyes and fragrances. Dyed toilet tissue looks nice and you might be tempted to reach for it over simple white toilet rolls but remember that dyed paper needs twice the time to decompose as standard white sheets.
Remember that finding and buying the best RV-friendly toilet paper you can afford is crucial to having headache-free camping trips. You will save a significant amount of money by cutting down on septic tank treatment as well as regular calls to your local plumber to fix those annoying septic clogs.
Regardless of the brand, make sure the toilet paper you choose is thick and absorbent. Your toilet tissue can be soft and smooth as well as RV-friendly.
Additionally, buying hypoallergenic toilet tissue will ensure that it can be used by different members of the family including children and the elderly.